Friday, August 16, 2013

Assemblages: It's All in the Detail!

Assemblages comfort me. Even though for the past two years I have learned to let go of the reins in creating new mixed media and encaustic art pieces, there is a part of me still that demands structure and definition (old habits die hard). 

In an assemblage made up of many found objects which have been discarded and abandoned, elements are brought together to become a thing of beauty with new purpose. There is a comfort in breathing new life into that which has been destroyed or lost. I am frequently asked how long it takes to make one of my assemblages. With "Emotional Baggage," "A Love Letter to Victor Hugo" and "Barbaric Yawp," my answer is "sixty years and two months..." 

Detail of "Emotional Baggage" 
© Mary Becker Weiss
Detail of "A Love Letter to Victor Hugo" 
© Mary Becker Weiss
Detail of "Barbaric Yawp" 
© Mary Becker Weiss 

"I too am not a bit tamed.
I too am untranslatable.
I sound my barbaric yawp
over the roofs of the world."
~ Walt Whitman


5 comments:

Mary Becker Weiss, Maine Artist said...

MS from Maryland says:
"Your assemblages are particularly strong. I love the detail and cleanness of the small pieces, intimately put together in Two Perspectives and One Vanishing Point. It is somehow very soothing." ~ MS

Mary Becker Weiss, Maine Artist said...

From a visitor in the Brunswick Outdoor Art Festival:
"Your assemblages remind me of that Joseph Campbell guy (Cornell) ~ you know that hermit who lived in his mother's basement all his life." ~ RG

Mary Becker Weiss, Maine Artist said...

"Smut!" ~ used to be my favorite, absolutely hilarious comment (in reference to "Speechless.")

But I have to now say that no one, I mean no one, is going to be able to top this comment! I'll take a comparison to Joseph Cornell's work any time, any where, any how! ~ MBW

Mary Becker Weiss, Maine Artist said...

R. M. from South Bristol said...
Mary, the lower portion of your "magic box" assemblage plunges my mind into the memories of travel all the way back to my days as a North Dakota farm boy who 1st opened the drawer (previously always locked) to my foster father's great old desk. In the drawer was stuff of "wonderment" for me. The top portion of the "magic box' sends my mind out over the travel memories that can never be forgotten. I hear train whistles and see images that only can be experienced 1st hand. ~ R.M. South Bristol
May 5, 2011 4:12 PM

Mary Becker Weiss, Maine Artist said...

Mary Becker Weiss @ Corniche said...
I am so pleased to know that my new assemblage has brought back such pleasant memories for you. That to me is the joy of working with this medium: each element of an assemblage means different things to different people who view it. "Two Perspectives and One Vanishing Point" is about triumph and perseverance through adversity. Look very closely; you'll see it all.

With much of my work, you may know that there are other metaphors in place that are not readily visible to the eye (as it should be.) I'll look forward to seeing you at the Harlow Reception tomorrow night! ~ Mary
May 5, 2011 4:19 PM